history of Sokhumi State University begins on February 7, 1932, when by the
decision of the Government of Georgia Pedagogical Institute was established in
Sokhumi. Initially, Sokhumi Pedagogical Institute had two chairs that were
mainly destined for preparing pedagogic staff. In the following years, other
specialties were added and by the beginning of the 1960s the Pedagogical
Institute became the leading educational and scientific center where the
teaching process was conducted in the Georgian, Abkhaz and Russian languages.
In 1979 Sokhumi Pedagogical Institute was re-established as University of
the political events of 1989, the Georgian part with majority of academic staff
and students separated from the University of Abkhazia. On May 14, 1989 on the
basis of Georgian part Iv. Sokhumi Branch of Iv. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State
University was established, which from 1993 continued its functioning in
On July 31, 2007, by
the decision of the Georgian government on the base of Sukhumi branch of TSU
the Legal Entity of Public Law - Sokhumi University was established.
On January 4,
2008, the University received a state license for educational activities, and
on January 8th of 2008 - State Accreditation (for 5 years).
On December 10,
2008, the Government of Georgia made amendments to Resolution No. 239 of the
Government of Georgia, according to which Legal Entity of Public Law Sokhumi
University was renamed to "Legal Entity of Public Law Sokhumi State University."